There are seventy-three days left until Election Day 2020 and Americans are in one of the biggest, if not the biggest, fights of our life. No matter which side of this fight that we are on we are in the fight for the very soul of America. The Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and his minions are battling to suck what serves as the life-giving blood out of America during this extended period of night. Mr. Trump and his minions are virtual vampires that are trying desperately to drain America of the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
The Declaration of Independence specifically states that these unalienable rights – life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness – have been bestowed upon all humans by their creator. And although the Constitution stops short of specifically mentioning happiness, it specifically mentions life and liberty. As Americans, we have long known that life and liberty allows us the opportunity to be the best that we can possibly be and that they are key components to our potential to pursue livelihood as we see fit and establish a free and happy life at whatever level in society that we choose and are capable of reaching…i.e., “the pursuit of happiness.” So, although the Constitution does not specifically mention “the pursuit of happiness,” it without doubt implies that we are entitled to this.
What are these virtual vampires doing to suck the blood out of America and make those of us who would prefer to keep America great rather than join the Trump clan who want to participate in a so-called rebirth of America to “Make America Great Again”? They are joined at the hip with Mr. Trump in all of his shenanigans to do anything and everything that it takes to hold onto power by:
- According to the book “Hoax” by Brian Stelter (and long-held suspicions held by a large percentage of the American people), allowing Fox News to vicariously run the country by allowing Fox News to determine his decisions and policies many of which completely ignore science and are based on conspiracy theories
- Pretending that Coronavirus/COVID-19 does not exist, misinforming the American people about this disease and knowingly and willingly putting them in danger
- Spreading rumors, without evidence, that mail-in ballots will be rife with fraud and as a result…
- Withholding badly needed funding for the post office that will help them to get mail-in ballots to the polls on time so that they will be counted
- Removing mail sorting machines from post offices
- Eliminating overtime at post offices
- Firing post office managers or removing them from their current positions
- Removing post office mailboxes from off the streets where they have long stood
- Treating election mail (ballots) like bulk mail rather than first class mail
- Refusing to address foreign interference in our elections and instead soliciting their help in his own reelection
- Using the Department of Justice to punish his enemies and help his friends
- Using the Department of State and other Departments to line his own pockets
- Firing those who openly disagree with him or investigate any allegations against him even if an investigation is warranted
- Replacing longtime, qualified civil servants with large donors/political hacks
- Lying about almost everything…even when the truth would be as good or better…
- And the list goes on
Right now The Donald J. Trump of the United States of America is doing everything that he can to destroy the United States Postal Service, undermine the American election process by causing the American people to question its integrity and fairness and thereby lose confidence in the entire system and to suppress the vote in any other way possible so that he can be reelected. He is emboldened by the fact that the Republican-led Senate refused to convict him, despite overwhelming evidence of his guilt, after he was impeached by the House. He is ignoring all of the norms associated with the position that he holds and is handing out pardons to his convicted friends like candy to children on Halloween!
Mr. Trump was an extremely dangerous and freighting man as a regular American because of the power that he commanded due to his wealth and influence as a celebrity. But he is even more dangerous and freighting now because of the enormous power that he wields as The Donald J. Trump of the United States of America. He is the most powerful man in the world and holds the potential to almost singlehandedly destroy our democracy! It is unfortunate but it appears that that is exactly what he is trying to do. And that is why that no matter how many obstacles that he and his Republican minions place in our way in an effort to keep us from voting, we must surmount those obstacles and vote anyway! I literally cannot say this too many times before Election Day 2020! Hopefully I will not need to continue to say it after Election Day because we will have voted him and all of his enablers out of office.
Let us not become complacent and not vote due to the obstacles that Mr. Trump and his minions place in our path and we feel that they are too hard to deal with. Let us not become complacent because Vice President Joe Biden currently has a comfortable lead according to the polls and that his running mate Senator Kamala Harris poses a formidable challenge to whomever Mr. Trump’s running mate might be: The stakes are just too high. Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Kamala Harris need you! America needs you! So always remember, your vote is the most important one of all…unless you don’t use it!
Eulus Dennis – author, Operation Rubik’s Cube and Living Between The Line